Top Select

Mock ‘kitchen’ game turns fatal for two girls

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014,19:19 IST By metro vaartha A A A

Hyderabad | Two children died and a third sustained severe burns while playing a mock cooking game with real fire and wood at Jawaharnagar in Jubilee Hills on Friday morning. Apparently, the explosion was caused by white petrol, used in film shootings to dramatize action scenes, that the children unknowingly poured on the wood to start the fire.
Jubilee Hills police said three children, Tirthi Vani, 9, her brother Yogi and neighbour Narasamma,13, were playing outside their house while their parents, all daily wage workers, were away at work in the morning. The three children wanted to cook curry as part of their play and stacked wood pieces to light it. They then noticed a 22-litre can belonging to Narasamma’s mother Saraswathi that was filled with cheap fuel and when they poured it on the wood and tried to light it, it caused an explosion.
Due to the impact of the blast, the door of the house fell down and the three children suffered severe burns. Vani and Narasamma succumbed to burns in Osmania General Hospital while Yogi’s condition is critical. While Vani had suffered 75 per cent burn injuries, Narasamma suffered 58 per cent burns. Jubilee Hills police managed to secure a dying declaration from Narasamma.
According to the police, the fuel that caused the explosion was white petrol, used mostly in film shootings during action sequence to show scenes involving fire. The fuel suddenly goes up in flames the moment it is lit, said the cops. Following the incident, forensic officials collected material from the blast site for further examination.
Assistant commissioner of police (Banjara Hills) Uday Kumar Reddy told TOI that the fuel was white petrol which Saraswathi brought from the company where she used to work.

Latest News