FLASH NEWS
Highlight

Saudi Arabia leads air strikes against Yemen’s Houthi rebels

Thursday, Mar 26, 2015,19:56 IST By metrovaartha A A A

Sanaa/Aden | Warplanes from Saudi Arabia and Arab allies struck Shi’ite Muslim rebels fighting to oust Yemen’s president today, a gamble by the world’s top oil exporter to check Iranian influence in its backyard without direct military backing from Washington.
Riyadh’s rival Iran denounced the assault on the Houthi militia group, which it backs, and made clear the kingdom’s deployment of a Sunni coalition against Shi’ite enemies would complicate efforts to end a conflict likely to inflame the sectarian animosities fuelling wars around the Middle  East. But a senior Iranian official ruled out military  intervention.
Warplanes bombed the main airport and the nearby al Dulaimi military air base of the Houthi-held capital Sanaa, residents said, in an apparent attempt to weaken the Houthis’ air power and ability to fire missiles.
A Reuters witness said four or five houses near Sanaa airport had been damaged. Rescue workers put the death toll from the air strikes at 13, including a doctor who had been pulled from the rubble of a damaged clinic.
Warplanes struck Houthi fighters near Yemen’s border with Saudi Arabia, tribal and Houthi sources told Reuters. Yemen’s crisis is escalating, with Iran backing the Houthis, and Sunni Muslim monarchies in the Gulf supporting Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and his fellow Sunni loyalists in Yemen’s south.
‘We will do whatever it takes in order to protect the legitimate government of Yemen from falling,’ Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States, Adel al-Jubeir, told a news conference in Washington.
In Aden, a local official reported that fighters loyal to Hadi retook the airport, a day after it was captured by forces allied to the Houthis advancing on the city. The facility remains closed and flights are cancelled. Said Arabia also cancelled flights to its southern airports.
Saudi-owned al-Arabiya TV reported that the kingdom was contributing 100 warplanes to operation ‘Storm of Resolve’ and more than 85 were provided by the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan.
Jordan and Sudan said their forces were involved in the operation. Egyptian naval and air forces were participating, with four naval ships en route to secure the Gulf of Aden.    Pakistan was considering a request to send ground forces.    A Saudi official familiar with defence matters told Reuters that a ‘land offensive might be needed to restore  order.’
Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Ministry demanded an immediate halt to the ‘aggression and air strikes’ in Yemen, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.    ‘Military actions in Yemen … will further complicate the situation,’ Fars quoted Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham as saying.
A senior Iranian official told Reuters: ‘Iran will use all possible political ways to allay tension in Yemen. Military intervention is not an option for Tehran.’    A United Arab Emirates official expressed Gulf Arab concerns about Iranian influence in Yemen.    ‘The strategic change in the region benefits Iran and we cannot be silent about the fact that the Houthis carry their banner,’ UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Mohammed Gargash wrote on Twitter.
The other Arab countries along with Pakistan reported to be willing to take part in the operation are also mostly  Sunni.    Saud al-Sarhan, director of research at King Faisal Centre for Research and Islamic Studies in Riyadh: ‘It is a clear message on the ‘Saudi defence doctrine’. Security and stability in the Arabian Peninsula is a red line, and Saudi Arabia doesn’t tolerate any attempt to destabilize the  region.’

A picture provided by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on March 26, 2015 shows Saudi Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz (2nd R) meeting with Saudi air forces officers to discuss plans and developments of the military operations against Yemen, at  the command and control centre of the air forces in Riyadh. Saudi warplanes bombed Huthi rebels in Yemen on Thursday, launching a military intervention by a 10-nation coalition to prevent the fall of embattled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

A picture provided by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on March 26, 2015 shows Saudi Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz (2nd R) meeting with Saudi air forces officers to discuss plans and developments of the military operations against Yemen, at the command and control centre of the air forces in Riyadh. Saudi warplanes bombed Huthi rebels in Yemen on Thursday, launching a military intervention by a 10-nation coalition to prevent the fall of embattled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Yemeni civilians and security forces search for survivors at the site of a Saudi air strike against Huthi rebels near Sanaa Airport on March 26, 2015, which killed at least 13 civilians. Saudi warplanes bombed Huthi rebels in Yemen, launching a military intervention by a 10-nation coalition to prevent the fall of embattled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Yemeni civilians and security forces search for survivors at the site of a Saudi air strike against Huthi rebels near Sanaa Airport on March 26, 2015, which killed at least 13 civilians. Saudi warplanes bombed Huthi rebels in Yemen, launching a military intervention by a 10-nation coalition to prevent the fall of embattled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.