Kerala to stop import of veg containing pesticides

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015,21:11 IST By metro vaartha A A A

Thiruvananthapuram | Kerala Government has decided to  form State level and  Area level committees for coordinating the activities to stop the import of vegetables containing pesticides from other states.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy will meet the Chief Ministers of other states in this regard and interstate coordination will be conducted at the official level, an official press release said here today.
As part of stopping the import of vegetables containing pesticides, various measures have been initiated, he said. Safety Department was strengthened. 80 posts of food safety officers have been created and the same is reported to PSC.
Modern equipment will be made available at the labs. More staffs would be posted in labs. Steps will be taken to sanction Rs 2.45 crore to buy equipments. GCSMS machines have already been placed at Thiruvananthapuram Govt Analysts Labs and Ernakulam Regional Analytical Lab, he added.
Checking will be conducted in a more vigorous manner to stop adulteration of food in hotels. All branded foods will be checked. Awareness campaigns will be conducted. Vegetable gardens will be set up in schools and other lands available.
Kitchen gardens have grown in number and this is a positive sign. The vegetable cultivation in the state has grown from 40 per cent to 70 per cent. Steps will be taken by the agriculture department to see that the rest 30% is also met, he explained.
Strict checking will be done at check posts. License and registration will be made mandatory to all vegetable merchants in the state. Registration will also be made applicable to the vehicles bringing vegetables for which time has been given till July 15. Special courts will be opened to handle cases related with food safety, he added.

Latest News