Afghan parliament siege ends; All Indians safe

Monday, Jun 22, 2015,19:26 IST By metro vaartha A A A

Kabul | Six Taliban gunmen were killed today in an attack on the Afghan parliament in Kabul, according to the interior ministry. India’s ambassador to Afghanistan Amar Sinha tweeted that all Indians are safe.
In New Delhi, Congress president Sonia Gandhi condemned the suicide terror attack as another heinous attempt by fundamentalists to subvert democratic forces. Ms Gandhi said, The Congress party as indeed the entire nation stands by the people of Afghanistan.
She stressed that such cowardly attacks by terrorists can never deter the resolute democratic traditions gaining strength the world over. Afghanistan’s Parliament came under attack from Taliban as one suicide bomber blew himself up followed by a heavy gunfire.
Five people are confirmed dead while at least 31 were injured in the attack, reported Afghanistan Tolo news. The militant outfit planted a huge car bomb outside the gates, stormed the compound and then sneaked into a building next to the chamber.
Police had evacuated the premises, while trying to fight the gunmen off. Taliban said they carried out the attack to coincide with a vote to endorse a new Defence minister.
Spokesperson for the interior ministry, Sediq Seddiqi, said the gunmen had attempted to storm the parliament building itself after the gates were breached by the suicide bomb. Mr Seddiqi also said that no MP had been injured.
The siege continued nearly for two hours. Pictures on social media showed parliament full of smoke and people running for cover. Television channels were broadcasting live from the parliament building when the attackers struck and MPs were seen fleeing the building.
Another explosion was reported by the local media in the Dahmazang area of Kabul city. Taliban have launched similar attacks on the government buildings in the past.

Latest News