27 hurt as dyfi march turns violent

Thursday, Jul 9, 2015,21:58 IST By metrovaartha A A A

Kannur | Twenty-seven persons, including 12 police personnel and a media man, were injured when a march taken out by the Democratic youth Federations of India (DFYI) to the District Education office (DEO), here turned violent today.
The injured included Town Circle inspector M P Azad and 11 other cops, 16 DYFI activists inlcuding DYFI District Secretary Binoy Kurian,District leader P Suneesh (son of K K Narayanan, MLA) and Jeevan TV Cameraman Sreejith Pariyaram.
Police arrested 14 DYFI activists in this connection of whom three were admitted to district hospital here .
According to police, about 300 DYFI activists, took out a march to DEO office at around 1145 hrs as part of state-wide protest against the delay in supply of text books to schools and  police action against SFI students recently.
Police blocked the DYFI activists infront of the gate but they pelted stones at the police, forcing them to use water cannons, lathi-charge and  tear gas to disperse the agitators.
In the clash that followed, 27 persons sustained injuries during stone pelting and lathi charge. As many as 14 DYFI activists were undergoing treatment in a private hospital
DYFI activists also damaged some hoardings, board of District Collectorate and barricades kept at roads nearby collectorate.
The situation was brought under control at around 1200 hrs . CPI(M) District Leaders, K P Sahadevan, M Surendran and SFI National President V Sivadasan visited the town police station demanding to hospitalize the arrested persons and also organized a sit-in agitation before the police station .Later,  District Police Chief P N Unni Rajan rushed to the spot and conducted talks with leaders following which they agreed to ends the sit -in agitation.
Meanwhile, police arrested SFI State Vice President Mohammed Afsal today in connection with a case when the SFI march to district collectorate turned violent on July 7  in which 58 persons, including 16 police men ,37 SFI activists and two media men sustained injuries and public property damaged. Police arrested around 20 SFI activists so far in this case.