No going back on Vizhinjam port project: Chandy

Friday, Jul 10, 2015,22:36 IST By metro vaartha A A A

Thiruvananthapuram | In a bid to put a lid on the controversy over awarding the Rs 7,000 crore Vizhinjam International Deepwater Seaport project to Adani group, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today said it would be implemented and reports contrary to this were ‘totally baseless’. Addressing a conference of MP’s from the state here, prior to the monsoon session of Parliament, he said only some technical procedures were left before the final order on the project was to be issued.
The cabinet had already approved sanction to award the contract to Adani Ports. Media reports had said that Congress high command was not in favour of awarding the project to Adani group due to its proximity to BJP top leadership. Such reports were totally baseless, Chandy said.
On July 7, Congress led UDF government had denied reports that the party high command had expressed displeasure over its decision to award the project to Adani ports. State Minister for Ports K Babu had said that the government had not discussed the Vizhinjam project with the High Command. In today’s conference, MP’s unanimously decided to raise with the Centre, the problem of sea erosion in coastal regions of the state and seek assistance for its prevention by including the same in the category of natural calamities.
The meet also discussed the Sabari rail project that would benefit millions of pilgrims who visit the hill shrine of Lord Ayyappa in Sabarimala. It was decided that the Union government has to meet the entire project expense as agreed to earlier and not the 50:50 cost sharing ratio now demanded by the Centre.
The conference also disapproved of the Union government’s decision to declare 10 waterways in Kerala as national waterways, which are sources for distribution of fresh water. It also decided to enhance the pace of work on Karipur international airport, including that of land acquisition.

Latest News