Contractor gets death sentence for brutal murder of minor girl

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015,19:43 IST By metrovaartha A A A

Kasaragod | A 50-year-old man was today sentenced to death by a court here in connection with the gruesome murder of a minor girl whose body was chopped into pieces and disposed of at a dam site in Goa in 2006.
The prime accused, K C Hamsa, a well-placed contractor from this northernmost district of Kerala, was also slapped with a fine of Rs 10 lakh, out of which Rs eight lakh will have to be paid to the parents of the 12-year-old girl Safiya who was employed as domestic help in his house here.
Hamsa’s wife, Mymoona (37) and a relative Abdullah (58), were sentenced to three years simple imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each by Kasargod District and Sessions Judge M K Shaktidharan.
Two other accused were acquitted for want of evidence.    Pronouncing the judgement, the Judge held it was a rarest of rare cases. The accused be hanged by the neck till he dies, he ordered.
The court praised the police and public prosecutor for conducting the investigations in a scientific manner and establishing the facts beyond doubt despite there being no eye-witnesses in the case.
The girl was subjected to torture and killed by the convict who later claimed she had gone missing.    Public Prosecutor C S Shukkoor said Hamsa was convicted for offences under IPC Sec 302 (murder), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence or giving false information), 361 (kidnapping from lawful guardianship).
The accused will also have to suffer 3 years RI each and Rs 5,000 fine each for offences under sect 201 and 361 of IPC. In default in payment of the fine within a year, he will have to undergo imprisonment for another threes.
According to the prosecution case, boiling water was poured on the young girl and she was not provided medical aid.    Later on the presumption that she died, Hamsa chopped her body into pieces and dumped them in a dam site in Goa. Forensic examination had revealed that the girl was alive when she was sliced into pieces on Dec 22, 2006.
A case was registered in December 2006 on a complaint by Safiya’s father Moidu who reached Kasargod to take his daughter back and found the girl missing from Hamsa’s residence after she was allegedly moved to Goa.    The police recovered the skeletal remains of the deceased in a plastic bag from Goa.