Kannur | The District Toursim Promotion Council (DTPC) authorities opened India’s fourth light house museum at Payyambalam in Kannur to the public last evening as an id- gift to the people of North Kerala.
This is the second light house museum in the State after Alappuzha. The Directorate General of Lighthouse and Lightships (DGLL), as part of the Directorate General’s plans to promote lighthouse tourism, is opening the lighthouse museums.
The light house museum was set up adjacent to the historic Kannur Lighthouse in Payyalmbalam Beach about two kilometres away from Kannur town. Around Rs 2.5 crore was estimated as total cost of the project.
The Kannur Lighthouse, overlooking the Arabian Sea, has been a silent witness to a number of significant episodes of the history of the land. This light house museum is built like Minicoy Light House at Lakshadweep.
The official inauguration of this museum would be organized next month and was waiting for date by Union Transport and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari. The museum, near the lighthouse at Payyambalam here is expected to give a facelift to tourism in Northern Kerala.
It will house rare objects capturing the tradition and legacy of lighthouses in India on display like gigantic Boya lamp bought from Gujarat and many lighthouse lanterns and optics ranging from the vintage capillary lamp and Hinks? duplex lamp to the old one operated on a clockwork mechanism as also a collection of lighthouse equipment and accessories.
The lighthouse at Payyambalam is the ninth built in the locality even as the others were destroyed owing to various reasons. The museum will have the drawings of all those earlier lighthouses.
The optics used in the lighthouse in Lakshadweep during the 19th century, the double-wick lamp used earlier in Kannur lighthouse, the fog-bell that was used to alert shipmen and a deep-sea buoy will be among the other exhibits.
As of now, similar museums are there in Alappuzha, Chennai and Mahabalipuram. It is set to be a destination of people keen to know the history of lighthouses in the country and the region and see the evolution of the paraphernalia used as navigational aid for mariners.
A visit to the museum will guide the visitors through the history of the lighthouses and the equipment and technologies used over the last 172 years since the first lighthouse was set up by the British colonial rulers here in 1843.
The Hinks? Duplex lamp that was used as an illuminant at the Kannur Light House from 1880 to 1899 is one of the exhibits at the museum.
Another attraction at the museum is the fog bell which was used for helping mariners during fog when visibility diminished. The bell was installed in 1958.
Among the exhibits at the museum are the models of the maintenance ship of the DGLL and its lightship, petroleum vapour burners and vapour lamp used at the lighthouse at Minicoy in Lakshadweep in 1885, lighted buoys, the 150-year-old optic used in Minicoy, special tools used in old lighthouses and the lighting apparatus used at Porbandar light house.
The museum also has a visual media aid and a mini theatre for screening documentaries.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.