New Delhi | Despite the trial court acquitting former India pacer S Sreesanth and two others – Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila – in the 2013 spot-fixing scandal, the BCCI has decided to stick to its ban on Sreesanth and Chavan.
Any disciplinary proceeding or decision taken by the BCCI is independent to any criminal proceeding and has no bearing. The decisions of the BCCI, based on its independent disciplinary action, shall remain unaltered, said the board in a statement.
The BCCI banned Sreesanth and Chavan for life in September 2013, while Chandila’s case is pending before the board’s disciplinary committee.
The court dropped all charges against the players along with the 39 other individuals on grounds of lack of evidence. All the three cricketers said they were keen to get back to play cricket.
The Rajasthan Royals trio had been arrested by Delhi police in May, 2013 for allegedly indulging in spot-fixing. While the chargesheet against the cricketers was filed in July, 2013, the charges had not been framed in the court due to technical reasons.
Sreesanth and Chavan were granted bail on June 10, 2013. Chandila had to spend more than three months in prison before he was released on bail.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.