53 girls at sports hostel admitted to hospital after food poisoning

Monday, Sep 21, 2015,20:16 IST By metro vaartha A A A

Kannur | As many as 53 girl students, aged between 10 and 17, of the Kannur Sports Hostel were undergoing treatment at the district hospital since September 19 following suspected food poisoning allegedly after they ate ice cream and biriyani on September 18 night.
Meanwhile, the district administration had closed the sports hostel up to September 28 and sent the samples of drinking water and food used for test at Regional Analytical Lab in Kozhikode. The hostel would re-open after the issue was settled.
As many as 22 girls were initially admitted to hospital on September 19 and later, this number rose to 56, yesterday, following vomiting and uneasiness. Today, two students were discharged from the hospital.
District Medical Officer (DMO) P K Baby said the health condition of the students was stable and out of danger. He also said health department carried out inspections at the hostel and awareness was being spread among the hostel staff to maintain proper hygiene.
About 190 girls, who are studying up to plus two, are staying in this sports hostel at Thavakkara near Kannur Town.

Latest News

Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch

Friday, Oct 21 , 2016 ,16:04 IST