Beijing | Nineteen people were killed and four others went missing in China’s southern Guangdong province as typhoon Mujigae, the 22nd typhoon of the year, left behind a trail of death and devastation. Seven people were killed in typhoon-triggered tornados in Guangdong, including three in Panyu district on the outskirts of Guangzhou and four in Shunde district of Foshan in the last two days, Guangdong provincial civil affairs department said in a press release. Another seven died in landslides caused by the typhoon, including four in Xinyi City, one in Guangning County and two in Luoding City, it said.
In Zhanjiang City, one person was found dead in the debris of a house that toppled in rainstorm, and three fishermen died in a pair of boat accidents in the stormy sea, state-run Xinhua news agency reported. Four other fishermen remained missing after the boats sank on Sunday.
In the neighbouring Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, one person died after he was knocked out by a tree that was uprooted by strong gales, the regional government said in a press release. Nearly 1.9 million people in Guangxi suffered losses from the typhoon and 417 homes were destroyed. In Guangdong province, about 3.5 million people were affected, of whom 170,400 were relocated from their damaged homes, the civil affairs department said.
At least 3,374 homes toppled and 282,700 hectares of cropland were damaged in the typhoon, a direct economic loss of 23.24 billion yuan, Xinhua said.
When the typhoon landed, power supply facilities were damaged in parts of Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan, causing a blackout for nearly 5 million households. Workers with the southern China power grid have been working all-out to repair the damages and as of yesterday, power supply had been restored in 78 per cent of the households. Power supply will fully resume within seven days, said Wang Liangyou, deputy general manager of southern China power grid.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.