Kozhikode | Three people, including two people who tried to clean a sewage canal in Kozhikode city, have died after inhaling poisonous gas on Thursday.
Two casual laborers — Bhaskar and Narasimha – and an autorickshaw driver — Noushad — were the victims.
The laborers were from Andhra Pradesh. Noushad is a Kozhikode native.
The laborers, who entered the underground canal beneath a road through a manhole, died due to suffocation as it was devoid of oxygen, according to initial reports.
Noushad, who stopped his autorickshaw after seeing passers-by gathering at the scene, died while trying to rescue the laborers.
Authorities have announced 1 lakh rupees each to relatives of the deceased.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.