Cauvery row: Violence erupts in Bengaluru, 1 killed in firing, curfew imposed

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016,10:58 IST By Metrovaartha A A A

Bengaluru/Chennai | One person was killed and another injured in police firing in Karnataka as the Cauvery water sharing row with Tamil Nadu turned violent today, escalating tensions between the two states.

As Bangalore witnessed widespread violence bringing it on the edge, night curfew was imposed in 16 police station limits late tonight.

Police said Rajgopal Nagar, Kamakshipalya, Vijaynagar, Byatarayanpura Kengeri, Magadi Road, Rajajinagar, RR Nagara, KP Agrahara Chandra layout, Yeshwanathapura, Mahalakshmi layout, Peenya, RMC Yard, Nandini Layout and Jnanabharathi are under curfew.

Widespread violence erupted today in Bangaluru and some other parts of Karnataka, while sporadic trouble was witnessed in Tamil Nadu following Supreme Court’s modified order on sharing Cauvery water by the two riparian states.

Police opened fire when a mob tried to attack a patrol vehicle at Hegganahalli in Rajagopal Nagar police limits as violence flared up in Bengaluru city with rampaging mobs setting fire to buses and trucks with Tamil Nadu registration plates.

“Two were brought with bullet injuries. One with bullet injury near the heart has died. The other is being operated for injury on right thigh,” Dr. Giridhar, Managing Director of Lakshmi Multi-Speciality Hospital, where they were taken said tonight.

Soon after the apex court gave its amended order, directing Karnataka to release 12000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till September 20, violence and arson flared up in Bengaluru, with rampaging mobs setting afire at least 30 vehicles bearing Tamil Nadu number plates.

As violence broke out sending a wave of panic across Bengaluru, the city was brought under prohibitory orders till September 14.

A prominent transport company depot in the city bore the brunt with at least 30 buses going up in flames.

Managing Director of Salem headquartered KPN Tours and Travels Limited Rajesh Natarajan claimed in Chennai 40 of his buses were set on fire.