Kejriwal leaves police station after more than 4-hr detention

Thursday, Nov 3, 2016,11:05 IST By Metrovaartha A A A

New Delhi | After more than four hours detention, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal left around midnight the R K Puram police station, following his detainment as he tried to meet the kin of ex-serviceman who allegedly committed suicide over the OROP issue, police said.

“Kejriwal was detained from Lady Hardinge Hospital around 7.45 PM and brought to the RK Puram police station in south District since there was no media or presence of political leaders there,” police sources said.

Police had asked him to go at around 8.45 PM but he refused to leave the police station.
Kejriwal left the police station accompanied by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia and other senior AAP leaders.

After coming out of the police station he vented out his ire against Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

However, Kejriwal had claimed that he was still being held in detention after he expressed his desire to meet the family of ex-serviceman Ram Singh Grewal who allegedly committed suicide over the OROP issue.

Sources close to the Chief Minister said that the police initially allowed him to leave but detained him again.

“The police allowed us to leave but the chief minister expressed his desire to meet the family of the deceased ex-serviceman. He also told the pilot of the police patrol that he was proceeding to the Connaught Place Police Station, but he was again detained,” a Kejriwal aide said.

Kejriwal tweeted from the police station saying that Sisodia, who was detained at Parliament Street police station for close to ten hours and later released, had come to meet him.
“Manish reaches here at RK Puram PS where I am still detained,” he had tweeted.

The suicide by an army veteran over OROP today snowballed into a huge political show with Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal and other opposition leaders attacking the Modi government on the issue while there was high drama after police detained and prevented them from entering a hospital.

The Congress Vice President was detained twice and was finally released late in the evening as restrictions were put on Kejriwal’s movements before he was detained. Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia was kept in custody for close to 10 hours.

Meanwhile, the ex-servicemen’s body was sent to his home town Bhiwani in Haryana after the postmortem.

Latest News